The most revolutionary comics ever?


When I used to live and work in the US and the UK, I always wondered why I could not find any Walt Disney comics at the newsagent (just very old cartoons on the telly), while I used to grow up in Italy with the extraordinary characters of Paperino (Donald Duck) and his relatives, as well as Topolino (Mickey Mouse) and his friends, learning some of the most important things in my childhood: about respecting environment, fighting the criminals, and so on.

I don’t know why you Americans gave up to publish those comics, but it’s for sure that the best writers and cartoonists are Italians, up to the point that the whole of Europe - from France to Germany to Scandinavia and former communist countries in the East buy the Italian stories to translate and publish them in their countries – including Paperinik (in French: Phantomiald), the double identity of unlucky Donald Duck as the greatest super-hero of all times, born out of the mind of the unforgettable Elisa Penna in 1969 - forty years before she sadly passed away nearly one year ago – the first story written and cartooned by Guido Martina and Giovan Battista Carpi respectively, some of the best of the great Italian Disney school which surpassed the American one. (along them I want to mention Venetians Maurizio Amendola and Luciano Gatto, members of my Radical Party).

Why those stories have been, and still are, so important for Italian and European children? Because they have been extremely well written in educating them (I should say us, including me) about science and history – such as the most recent one about Galileo interpreted by Archimede Pitagorico (in English: Gyro Gearloose) or many others in the past about Central America pre-colonial civilizations, or indeed America itself, with Uncle Scrooge still working in US dollars rather than Euros (but sooner or later that will change…), and don’t forget that both Paperopoli (Duckburg) and Topolinia (Mouseton) are invariably located on the map in California!

I own a small collection of Disney comics in Bulgarian, Czech, French, German, and obviously the original ones in Italian, but for some unknown reason I’ve never been able to buy something written in English. Can you help me understand why?

2 commenti:

Unknown ha detto...

You forget to mention belgian comics and among all the famous Tintin

Welshcakes Limoncello ha detto...

I don't know why you can't get them in English. I have kept all my Italian ones from 40 years ago!